Friday, March 2, 2012

Day One

Susie and I have been sick for the past week. This has not helped our preparations at all. Last night we were still not quite ready to leave yet, but Susie was determined to get started and as we worked late to get ready, I began to share her desire to make a start today and not wait for Saturday.

We left Dash with Grandma Call, and were able to leave Roy around 12:30 pm. Today has been an exploration of Wyoming. The weather has been great, but means that we only had to deal with bitter cold and strong wind.

I am surprised that the entire state is not covered with wind generators. We passed several large farms of them on our way to Cheyenne, but based on the weather that we experienced, I am convinced that there is vast potential in this state that remains untapped.

As we passed into Wyoming from Utah, we stopped by the side of the road. During this trip we plan to stop as we enter each new state so that we can take pictures in front of the sign welcoming us to that state.

The boys traveled very well today. I am sure that they have no idea what they are in for -- I don't think that I know what we are in for. When we drive towards Omaha tomorrow, it will be on a road that I have never driven before. I will driving further east than I have ever driven before. As Susie and I reviewed our route today, it struck me powerfully that we will be driving to and over the Mississippi. I have been to the east coast before, but that has been by plane, driving really is something else.

We say an interesting billboard today heading east on I-80 just before mile marker 80. In very large letters it declared, "Judgement Day: May 21, 2011", it further stated "The Bible Guarantees it." There was web address as well, but I was unable to catch. I am not entirely sure why that billboard was up now, it doesn't really seem very timely, it was amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment