Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Hannibal and Nauvoo

Last night, I was so exhausted that I quickly fell asleep. I think that my entry missed somethings that I wanted to include - I doubt that I will be able to remember them.

We started the day in Hannibal, Missouri. Unfortunately, we did not get a shot as we entered the state. Like Iowa, the sign was set in the middle of a bridge, and we weren't prepared to snap a shot as it flashed by. It was night, so the photo would not have turned out anyway.

We discovered that many of the tourist attractions were closed, but we where still able to see many of the Samuel Clemmens historic buildings -- from the outside at any rate. We walked around a bit and enjoyed the 80 degree weather. It was a very pleasant change of temperature. It seems, however, that we are still being followed by strong winds wherever we go.

It really helped my visualization of Mark Twain's novels to see the layout and size of the town that inspired him, and the buildings. We visited the river front, then climbed up to a lighthouse.

We then drove to Nauvoo. There was so much more to see and do there than I expected. I think that you easily spend 2 or 3 days there. We visited the brickyard, blacksmith, bakery, and daily living center. The boys enjoyed seeing the tools being used and the souvenirs that they were given. I think that they would have enjoyed it a little better if they were older and their attention spans older. Susie and I have agreed to visit again in the future.

We pressed forward after the sites in Nauvoo closed and made it near to Chicago. We have an appoint with Kent State on Friday and we are trying to figure out what we are going to do between here and there.

I received a bit of good news. I received a letter of acceptance from Baylor. This marks the second school to which we have been accepted so now we officially have choices to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment